Our Diversity journey
PCC’s Diversity journey continues to advance, thanks to the leadership and commitment of a great many staff. 2013 milestones included:
Annual Black History Month celebration in February featuring:
- guest speaker, Dr. Lew Golding of CAMH;
- a lunch celebration with food, dance, music, and spoken word; and
- daily facts, weekly quizzes and prizes to make learning FUN!
A round of applause for our PCC and Nexus Black History Month Committee members Garth Buckley, Darren Dennie, Aliyah Douglas, Lorianne Fedée, Joanne Leo, Coralie Martens, Jona Ombao and Danita Thompson for organizing this year’s presentations and events for all of us to enjoy.Lunch-and-learns:
- Culturally Sensitive Practice with Middle Eastern Clients in a Mental Health Setting, led by PCC clinicians Jacqueline Kamel and Nancy Cannella
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit perspective, with guest Simon Bain, Community Wellness Coordinator, Métis Nation of Ontario.
Warm thanks to our presenters and to the other members of the Diversity Training and Education Committee, Frank Ennis and Laurie Sheff, for these exceptional opportunities to learn together.
Our 9th Annual Pride Week
in June offered a “rainbow” of opportunities to learn, share and celebrate:
- Guest speakers Kevin Rambally (AYSP), Ashley Lake (East Mississauga Community Health Centre), Constable Krista Noakes (Peel Regional Police) and Michael Skynner (Family Services of Peel)
- Fun activities including the colour of the day, trivia, a video, mocktails and rainbow ice-cream sundaes.
Special thanks to our speakers and to our 2013 Pride Committee members: Andria Amato, Karen Anslow, Karen Brozina-Hawley, Tarryn Chatz, Lauren Chicorli, Edit Farun, Kelly Kack, Jacqueline Kamel, Lisa Laing, Crystal Robertson, Sherry Sklar and Chantal Williams.
celebration in November organized by Sukh Bassi, Pearl Fernandez, Bhupinder Heer, Deepa Kaushik, Amrit Khaper, Randeep Mann, Meena Radhakrishnan and Kothai Sandrasegaran. Highlights of the celebration included staff Bollywood dancers, who were coached by Deepa; and a buffet provided by the members of the organizing committee. Bravo, “Diwali Diwaz,” chefs and organizers!
More welcoming and inclusive client spaces
, with new diversity-themed art, décor, toys and books. A shout-out to the Welcoming Space Committee: Nancy Pereira, Katie Pipitone, Nella Secondino, Stephanie Thom and Mora Thompson.
New resources about cultural competence
for staff, books reflecting our philosophy of inclusion for families, and information sheets about mental health in several languages. Kudos to our Diversity Resources Committee, Stephanie Hiebert and Cathy O’Sullivan.
< Back to the news section