RESIDENTIAL COUNSELLOR - ECHO Residence:
Permanent Full-time (40 hrs/wk)
File # 17-012
Peel Children's Centre is an accredited children’s mental health centre that provides a continuum of high quality mental health services for children, youth and their families who are experiencing or may experience serious emotional difficulties. Our services are provided in a dynamic, client-centred environment that values flexibility, accessibility and responsiveness.
Our Residential Treatment Program provides a safe, accepting, supportive environment for temporary out-of-home treatment of children experiencing serious emotional, behavioural, or relationship difficulties.
Working in a multi-disciplinary framework the Residential Counsellor will ensure the safety and well being of all clients within the Residential setting. Duties include clinical reporting and participation in the maintenance and ongoing operations of the residential program.
The successful incumbent will:
- Have the ability to respond to and support client’s unique mental health needs, within a therapeutic environment, in the context of a multi-disciplinary treatment plan;
- Have a thorough knowledge of mental health issues and the ability to apply behavioral skills;
- Use tact and judgment in a respectful manner and have the ability to apply these skills in a variety of situations;
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal, teaming and conflict resolution skills;
- Be able to effectively follow clinical direction;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to client needs through a strength based approach;
- Have a proven understanding of a milieu environment and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Utilize high levels of oral and written communication skills, time management and critical thinking skills with a strong understanding of role boundaries;
- Have the ability to effectively assess, manage, design, and implement a crisis plan to ensure safety within the milieu setting;
- Have basic computer literacy to operate computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and email software;
- Possess a Child & Youth Worker diploma with a minimum of one year related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Have a valid Driver’s License and First Aid Certificate.
The annual salary range for this position is from $45,734 to $53,480. As a full-time employee you would also be eligible for the Peel Children’s Centre benefit and pension plans, as well as generous vacation and personal leave time.
Please note that all successful candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector police records check prior to the commencement of employment.
At Peel Children’s Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply no later than May 4, 2017.
Please submit a cover letter and chronological resume, referring to File #17-012
, by selecting "Apply for this position" below.
Peel Children’s Centre
85A Aventura Court
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If selected to participate in the assessment and/or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used. If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, we shall consult with the applicant and provide or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs